Track walk at Charlotte Motor Speedway Coca-Cola 600

Track walk at Charlotte Motor Speedway Coca-Cola 600
Track walk at Charlotte Motor Speedway Coca-Cola 600

Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Impossible Search for Dale Earnhardt Sr. ...

             While eating at Fuddrucker's the other night, I got an email that asked if our 6 year old was available for an audition on Saturday for a commercial. While it didn't give much information, it did tell us that it involved ESPN and NASCAR. So, we submitted him for this audition and he got the opportunity, but there was one catch. Apparently the commercial is a Dale Earnhardt / Austin Dillon #3 commercial and we needed to be an "actual fan" of the #3 and have some of his memorabilia. Well, I've always loved the Earnhardt legacy, and was interested in teaching my son much more about Dale Jr.'s father, so I thought it would be a great opportunity to travel up to DEI (for NEWBS, that's Dale Earnhardt Inc.) on Friday afternoon.  It was a great trip, and while we arrived really late in the day, we were still able to see most of the cars they had on display, and especially the #3 and the massive Winston Cup Championship Trophies in the trophy case.

     After the visit, we went into the DEI shop thinking that I could buy as much #3 gear as I needed for my son to "look the part" for this NASCAR audition. Well, they were sold out of all of their kids gear except for girls, and the hats were way too large for his head. This is when the panic set in. Where am I to find #3 gear for my son if DEI doesn't even have any? Well, I tried the Walmarts in the area with no luck, we visited the Nascar Speedpark in Concord and found only girls gear, and we even put a call into Charlotte Motor Speedway to no avail. On Saturday, the day of the audition, we visited multiple thrift shops and only found a trash can. (Actually, for $2.99 I thought it was a pretty rad find.)
Well, our last hope was the Nascar Hall of Fame in downtown Charlotte. YES! Success! I don't think I've ever paid twenty-four dollars for a hat, but at that point I thought that it was worth the price to end the search.
      The audition went well and the casting agent loved him. He was asked many questions about going to Nascar races and was very believable, even though he said that his favorite driver was Kyle Busch. Oops. No matter, there is no doubt in my mind that he was much more "NASCAR" than anyone else in the room, but it's up to the producers to decide that.  I'll post if he gets the gig, or maybe you'll just see the kid on the left in the next Nascar commercial.

No comments:

Post a Comment